Saturday, July 30, 2011

Yes, I Am A Smoothie Addict.

For the past few months I have been addicted to smoothies. Unfortunately, there aren't very many places in my area where I can purchase a smoothie made with fresh fruits. McDonald's Strawberry Banana smoothie is delicious and 210 calories for a small isn't bad unfortunately smoothies without some protein won't fill me up so I end up eating more calories than I'd like.

Due to the lack of variety, I decided to buy a blender and blend my own smoothies. I have really wanted the Ninja Master Prep for a while now because it doubles as a food processor so I purchased one for myself a couple of weeks ago on sale at Target. So far I really like this product. I have only made smoothies with it so far but I can't wait to make my own hummus or salsa. Ultimately, I would love to own a Vitamix blender but it is out of my price range for now. That will need to be an investment in the future. Right now I am paying for things like graduate school and the CPA exam.

I have been pursing blogs and websites for different smoothie recipes and have found quite a selection. My favorite blog for smoothie recipes is Peanut Butter Fingers. Julie has an awesome list of smoothies listed on her blog and I have tried a few of them so far and haven't been disappointed. This morning the "Ice Cream" Smoothie caught my eye so I headed to the kitchen.
Surprisingly, I didn't have any honey (I always have honey) so I added some vanilla extract instead. The results was quite yummy. Check out the ingredients I used below.

My Vanilla Goodness Smoothie (adapted from Peanut Butter Fingers)

1 scoop Jay Robb Whey Protein Vanilla
2 bananas
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp fat free whipped topping



No comments: